Drug war to be relaunched soon – dela Rosa
By Yolanda Sotelo
LAOAC –Police Director General Ronald dela Rosa said the war against illegal drugs may resume anytime – “maybe today, tomorrow, next weekend.”
BOODLE FIGHT.Philippine National Police(PNP) chief Director General Ronald dela Rosa with Pangasinan Gov. Amado Espino III(3rd from left) and Mayor Silverio Alarcio,Jr.(left) and other officials in a boodle fight after the inauguration of the new police station in Laoac town last March 2.CESAR RAMIREZ
He said the plan for the resumption is still being worked on, and that he was just waiting for feedbacks from his subordinates if they are already prepared to resume the campaign.
He said while President Duterte has given the go signal to him, it was up to the police to decide when to restart the anti-illegal drugs war.
“The plan for the resumption of the drug war is still in the works, pinapanday pa ng husto, if ayos na we can relaunch. Maybe today, tomorrow, next week end. I’m just waiting for feedbacks from my commander if they are ready,” he said .
“Being ‘ready’ means the campaign won’t be undermined by unscrupulous elements of the police and all drug enforcement units in all levels of command will be manned by persons whose integrity are beyond question,” he said.
Aside from inaugurating the new police building, dela Rosa awarded certificates of completion to 186 drug surrenderees who undertook a community-based rehabilitation program held from August 2, 2016-February 24, 2017.
Duterte suspended the PNP’s anti-illegal drug campaign after some members of the PNP Anti-Illegal Drugs Group were implicated in the abduction and killing of Korean businessman Jee Ick Joo.
Both the President and dela Rosa claimed that the suspension resulted in proliferation and upsurge in drug activities, and that he (dela Rosa) had been receiving feedbacks from local government units from Luzon to Mindanao who are in unison in wanting to have the anti-drug campaign relaunched.
He said the police would be “more careful”during the second phase of the campaign, having enough lessons learned from the first phase.
“Nasingitan tayo not only by scalawag police who used the war against drug (for nefarious activities), and by civilians na kunwaring vigilante pero may sariling agenda. When I said lets be careful, huwag tayong masingitan, if may patayan outside of police operations, talagang we need to investigate,” he said.
The police would also reactivate the anti-drug units and fill them with new personalities, “as we would not want the likes of Santa Isabel to (exploit) the campaign.”
All municipal police stations will have their own municipal drug enforcement units and it would be up to the chief to select the members.
Duterte said anti-drug units would be manned by young policemen who are untarnished by corruption, but dela Rosa said there are older policemen with fervor, not corrupt, and patriotic.
“We have to balance (the membership of the anti-drug units)” he said.
The police would focus on “big fish” during the relaunched war, although “we had always focused on them but the situation regarding the drug lords is complex.”
“How can you catch the drug lords who are already inside the Bilibid? Or are in China or Taiwan? But we will try our best to go after them,” he said,
Dela Rosa also promised to lessen or totally eliminate collateral damage during the anti-drug campaign.
“Nobody in this world likes the drug war to be bloody. Sino ba gustong may mamatay? May masugatan? (But)we are engaged in war, we have no control, it is a matter of action and corresponding reaction, pag lumaban sila may madidisgrasiya. Yong collateral damage, di namin gusto yan, mahirap maicontrol pero we will work na maminimize or totally maeliminate yong collateral damage,” he said.
Entry filed under: News.