Dagupan mayor confirms legal action mulled vs DPWH

November 7, 2016 at 6:02 am Leave a comment


By Mortz C. Ortigoza
DAGUPAN CITY – Mayor Belen Fernandez confirmed that the city’s legal office is studying if it will file a case against the Department of Public Works and Highway, after she learned that the culverts at the de Venecia highway  were put by the DPWH.floodWATER WORLD. Flood in Central Pangasinan Province. CESAR RAMIREZ

She said Speaker de Venecia told her that originally, there were no culverts there.
She said  the three culverts were surreptitiously put there by the DPWH without consultation with the city officials.
The entrance and exit of the culverts are located at Barangay Banaoang, Calasiao, according to District Engineer Rodolfo Dion of the 2nd Engineering District of Pangasinan.
“The problem was the water that passes through the culverts goes to the villages in the city,” Dion said.
The villages that became a catch basin for the flood that passes through the culvert were Lasip Chico, Lasip Grande, Malued, Lucao, Tapuac, and others.
The DPWH should have channeled the flood that cascaded from the mountain areas of Benguet Province to the Sinocalan River and not to the culverts.
The city would file the case against  the 4th Engineering District of Pangasinan based in Santa Barbara, Pangasinan.

It is under the watch of District Engineer (DE) Marietta B. Mendoza.
According to Dion, whose office is based in Lingayen, each of the three of the 1.5 meters in diameter culverts were constructed two years ago when the 4th Engineering District was elevating the concrete pavement of the old De Venecia Highway.
Fernandez said the flooding makes the villagers miserable as the flood is up to more than a foot deep. The city  tried to remedy the situation to lessen the water.
 She said the day after Super Typhoon Lawin scourged this city, City Engineer Chief Virginia Rosario called up Mendoza to borrow equipment to clean debris as a result of the typhoon but to no avail.
Rosario instead asked the help of Dion who immediately acquiesced.
Dion earlier told Northern Watch that the three box culverts that worsen the flooding here have been referred by Mayor Fernandez to her legal office for action.
“It was already referred by the mayor to the legal office for any appropriate action,” Dion said.
Flashflood caused by the culverts caused the mayor here to suspend intermittently for two weeks the classes up to the tertiary level during the “Habagat” or south west monsoon in August this year
Advertisements

Entry filed under: News.

EDITORIAL: Pagpapahalaga ni Duterte sa Pilipinas at sa mga Filipino  Rody sends Vietnamese fishers home

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Welcome to Northern Watch Online.You are visitor no.

  • 609,462 since Feb. 10, 2009

Events Watch

sugod agri-expo Photobucket

Last Week’s Cartoon

Photobucket

Day Watch

November 2016
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
Regional blogs & blog posts
Regional blogs
Media blogs
Opinion blogs
Community blogs

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,339 other followers


%d bloggers like this: