Resuello case ‘too hot to handle’

September 22, 2009 at 1:57 am Leave a comment


By Yolanda Z. Sotelo

SAN CARLOS CITY – The cases filed against the suspected killers of late Mayor Julian Resuello are proving to be “too hot to handle” for government prosecutors.

The more than two-year old cases have not taken off the ground, or still in the level of prosecutor which decides whether or not there was probable cause for the case to be heard by a judge.

The cases are now being handled by the fourth prosecutor after the first three either asked to be inhibited or were asked by the contending parties to be inhibited.

“I hope the fourth prosecutor will not ask to be inhibited,” Mayor Julier “Ayoy” Resuello, son of slain mayor Julian.

The late city mayor was about to crown the city fiesta queen on the night of April 28, 2007 when a gunman shot him several times at close range, causing his death two days later. His civilian aide Jojo Martinez covered the mayor with his body and instantly died also from gunshot wounds.

Resuello and the Task Force Resuello of the Criminal Investigation and Detention Team filed a double murder and multiple frustrated murder cases against a former city mayor and several others whom the task force suspected as the perpetrators of the killings.

San Carlos City Prosecutor Alejo Salo, who sworn in Resuello as mayor after his father’s death, inhibited himself from the case.

Acting City Prosecutor Reynaldo Lacasandile dismissed the cases citing lack of probable cause.

“We asked Lacasandile to be inhibited from the case,” Resuello said. He said Lacasandile “gravely erred and abused his discretion in dismissing the case of double murder and multiple frustrated murder for lack of probable cause despite the presence of overwhelming substantial evidence and the testimony of credible witnesses.”

The case was taken over by Baguio City Prosecutor Paulyn Maurie Aquino who was designated acting prosecutor of San Carlos .

Aquino reversed Lacasandile’s findings, saying there was “overwhelming and substantial evidence through the statements of credible witnesses to show that probable cause exist to hold the respondents liable for the crimes complained of.”

But even before Resuello received a copy of Aquino’s resolution, the defendants headed by one Loida Mendoza were already given a copy and were able file a motion to dismiss the case and to inhibit Aquino from handling it.

The defendants did not cite reasons for asking for Aquino’s inhibition.

The case was passed to Dagupan City Prosecutor Gonzalo Marata.

Resuello said he was hoping that Marata will not inhibit himself from the case.

The mayor also said he would ask the Commission on Elections to declare the city under its control during the 2010 elections because he was afraid for his safety and that of his family and city mates.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: News.

Ferdie vs Ranjit in 2010 vice guv race Closed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Welcome to Northern Watch Online.You are visitor no.

  • 933,162 since Feb. 10, 2009

Events Watch

sugod agri-expo Photobucket

Last Week’s Cartoon

Photobucket

Previous issues

Day Watch

September 2009
S M T W T F S
« Aug   Oct »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
Regional blogs & blog posts
Regional blogs
Media blogs
Opinion blogs
Community blogs

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,442 other followers


%d bloggers like this: