Proposed curfew on motor bikes ‘dead’

September 20, 2009 at 1:21 am Leave a comment


PhotobucketLingayen — The proposed curfew ordinance on motorbikes is dead in the water.

Provincial Board Member Alfonso Bince Jr., one of the authors of the proposed measure, withdrew his sponsorship after a public hearing of the Committee on Public Order And Safety and the Committee on Laws and Ordinances last September 11 where representatives from the Pangasinan bikers, the Land Transportation Office (LTO), and the Philippine National Police (PNP) presented their positions on the measure.

The proposed ordinance called for the imposition of curfew hours on travel of motorcycles from 11:00 pm to 3:00 am within the province of Pangasinan.

Board Member Jeremy Agerico Rosario, who co-authored the proposed ordinance, seconded Bince’s motion to withdraw.

Pangasinan bikers, represented by Pangasinan Bikers Federation, Inc. President Alex Sison, registered their vehement opposition to the proposed ordinance, saying among other reasons, that the “proposed ordinance is selective and discriminatory to motorcycle users.”

Meanwhile, Provincial Police Director Supt. Percival Barba presented facts and data about motorcycle riding in tandem incidents from January to August of this year as compared to the same period of last year, and he assured the members of the board that Pangasinan remains to be generally peaceful and there is no cause for alarm as everything is manageable and under control.

Lawyer Charlie del Rosario, Legal Officer of LTO Region 1, said that the freedom of road users cannot just be curtailed. He also said that the provincial board has no power to revoke the driver’s license of offenders as penalty for violation of the ordinance, if ever it becomes a law, as only the LTO is mandated by the law to do so.

“We have a limit in a democratic country whereby in democracy, the individual has certain rights which the government can’t take away,” Board Member Angel Baniqued said towards the end of the hearing as he appealed to the principal authors to withdraw the ordinance. (PIO/Rafael Manuel)

Entry filed under: News.

Province, USAID hold 4-day workshop for health workers ‘One Blood. One Barangay. One Pangasinan’ held

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Welcome to Northern Watch Online.You are visitor no.

  • 973,691 since Feb. 10, 2009

Events Watch

sugod agri-expo Photobucket

Last Week’s Cartoon

Photobucket

Previous issues

Day Watch

September 2009
S M T W T F S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
Regional blogs & blog posts
Regional blogs
Media blogs
Opinion blogs
Community blogs

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,470 other followers


%d bloggers like this: