Strike paralyzes jeepney operations

April 10, 2009 at 7:51 am Leave a comment


strikeDAGUPAN CITY – Jeepney operations in the entire province of Pangasinan was almost totally paralyzed from 6 in the morning up to late afternoon, according to transport group leaders.

Benny Aquino, president of Alliance of United Transport Organizations Provincewide, said 99 percent of jeepney operators and drivers who are members of transport groups, joined the nationwide strike.

There were few drivers that surreptitiously plied their usual route, but these were “lost command” or not members of any transport group, Aquino said.

The drivers and operators were striking against the Department of Transportation and Communication Order 2008-9 which increased penalties for traffic violations.

Thousands of passengers were stranded by the strike, but tricycles took over the roads to ferry passengers from their houses to their places of work.

Policewoman Brenda Cristobal said hundreds of passengers waited in vain for a ride to take her to Calasiao where she works.

She said each passenger from San Carlos City to Calasiao had to pay P25 in tricycle fare as compared to the jeepney fare of P16.

Many passengers complained about tricycle drivers who went for a kill during the strike as many passengers pay whatever amount the drivers told them to pay.

But tricycles from one town entering another town or city were soon stopped by traffic enforcers and the striking jeepney drivers.

Bruskee Visperas, chairman of the Board of Trustees of Calasiao Operators and Drivers Association, said the tricycles are “out of line” if they go out of the towns where they are registered.

“Thus they can be apprehended,” he said.

Asked about the jeepneys which still went out, Visperas said they can’t force them to stop, but “we talked to them to cooperate.”

“Maybe the driver has to earn money to buy rice, but we all need to buy rice and we are sacrificing. This strike is for all of us and we ask them to make a little sacrifice,” he said.

Entry filed under: News. Tags: , .

LAPUS DIRECTIVE ISSUED: Torio goes to Dagupan, Aquino retires Resuello family still awaits justice for Jolly’s death

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Welcome to Northern Watch Online.You are visitor no.

  • 975,342 since Feb. 10, 2009

Events Watch

sugod agri-expo Photobucket

Last Week’s Cartoon

Photobucket

Previous issues

Day Watch

April 2009
S M T W T F S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
Regional blogs & blog posts
Regional blogs
Media blogs
Opinion blogs
Community blogs

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,470 other followers


%d bloggers like this: