Sual welcomes another power plant


 SUAL, Pangasinan – Residents here welcome the entry of another coal-fired power plant as it would mean hundreds of job opportunities and millions of pesos in additional annual revenues for the municipality.
Mayor Roberto Arcinue cited the previous public  hearings the municipal government held to take the pulse of the public over the proposed plan to put up another power plant in addition to the existing 1,200-megawatt Sual Coal-Fired Power Plant in barangay Pangascasan.

coal power plant

Illustration of a modern coal power plant.

Arcinue said at least six consultation meetings, attended by fishermen, school teachers and officials, barangay leaders and residents, womenfolk, Sangguniang Bayan members, cooperatives, and local and national government employees, were conducted to discuss the establishment of a second power plant. The mayor said: “Nobody expressed opposition to the plant.”

 
 
Aside from providing hundreds of jobs and millions in extra revenues, a second power plant would ensure stable power supply that is conducive to economic progress and sustainable growth, he added.
“With stable and cheaper  electricity we will be able to invite more investors to put up projects and business ventures in Sual and anywhere else in Pangasinan that would mean more jobs and income for our people,” Mayor Arcinue stressed.
The mayor said he is currently holding talks with a multi-national company which expressed interest in putting up a state-of-the –art coal power plant in Sual that could produce 1,000 megawatts.
He said the proposed power plant project dovetails with his vision and that of the provincial government led by Gov. Amado Espino III to transform the municipality of Sual into an “Energy City.”
In November last year,  the Sangguniang Panlalawigan passed a resolution identifying the municipality of Sual as such, the energy hub of Pangasinan.
 
Endowed with a clean and deep blue sea and having been declared as a special economic zone, Sual has become an apple of the eye of several big-ticket investors ranging from power plant and petro-chemical operators to ship-repair and airport companies.
 
Advertisements

September 18, 2017 at 6:21 am Leave a comment

EDITORIAL:  Kailan titigil ang bangayan ng mga opisyal ng Dagupan City?


Lalo yatang sumisidhi ang bangayan ng mga opisyal ng Dagupan City sa grupo ni Mayor Belen T. Fernandez at Vice Mayor Brian Lim. Ito ay nag-ugat sa planong paglilipat ng City Hall sa pook ng Pantal-Lucao na kung saan dito rin itatayo ang ” government center”. Ang aksyong ito ng pamahalaan sa ilalim ni Mayor Fernandez ay naaayon sa bagong Comprehensive Land Use Plan (CLUP) at Zoning Ordinance na aprubado ng Regional Development Council (RDC) at Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB).

Sa panig ng grupo ni Vice Mayor Lim, hindi raw dapat na ilipat ang City Hall dahil magiging malayo ito sa mga Dagupeño, tataas ng pamasahe at ang makikinabang diumano ay ang pamilya ni Mayor Fernandez na may mga ari-arian malapit sa plinaplanong “government center”. Ayon sa kanila, ito ay isang anyo ng kurapsyon dahil sa “conflict of interest.”

Dahil sa maugong na pagtuligsa sa CLUP, Zoning Ordinance at ang paglipat ng city hall, minarapat ng Committees on Land Utilization, and Laws, Ordinances and Judiciary ng Sangguniang Panlungsod (SP) na pinamumunuan ni Councilor Joey Tamayo na magsagawa ng pandinig publiko (public hearing) para matuldukan na ang mga sigalot tungkol dito. Nanaig ang boses ng karamihang Dagupeño. Pinapayagan nila ang mga bagong plano ng pamahalaan ng Dagupan City, at ito ay nakapaloob sa ulat ng nasabing Committee. Dahil dito, inilabas na rin ng SP ang Ordinance No.0-608, na kumakatig sa paglilipat ng city hall at pagsasagawa ng “government center.”

Ang “government center” ay may kabuuang 25,000 metro kuadrado at may kaukulang badyet na P500 milyon, na uutangin ng pamahalaan ng Dagupan City. Ayon kay Mayor Fernandez, ito ay taliwas sa sinasabi ng kampo ni Vice Mayor Lim na aabot sa P1 bilyon, at ito ay dadaan pa sa pagsusuri ng Department of Finance (DoF) na kung may kakayahan at kapasidad ang lungsod na mangutang. (more…)

September 18, 2017 at 6:19 am Leave a comment

DEATH OF THREE IN SAN NICOLAS ‘Encounter’’not ‘massacre’ -police


By Virgilio Sar. Maganes

LINGAYEN- The Pangasinan Provincial Police Office (PPPO) here belied news reports circulating on social media and mainstream media  that the victims in San Nicolas during a reported encounter in San Nicolas last August 25, were civilians and not New People’s Army (NPA) guerillas. 

Police Chief Inspector Norman Florentino, Acting Chief of Provincial Community Relations Board and PPPO spokesperson, clarified in a telephone interview, that the encounter that killed Marcello Perico, 46, of Cauayan City, Isabela, Arturo Galvez, 60, of Ilagan, Isabela, and Crisologo Alambra, 60, of Lupao, Nueva Ecija was a legitimate and legal operation of the Pangasinan Public Safety Command (PPSC), based in Tayug town.

The body of another victim Thelma Albano, 67, common -law wife of Galvez was discovered only last August 30 in San Nicolas town.

“We have already presented the evidence regarding the matter in one of our press conferences. Now, if they are disputing our reports, they should file and bring complaints to a proper forum, not on social media or other media outlets. We will maintain our position that it was a clash with NPAs,” Florentino said.

The clarification was made by Florentino after news reports came out that the Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan)-Pangasinan through its spokesperson Eco Dangla claimed that the incident was a “massacre” and that the victims are not NPA guerillas, but  “treasure hunters” and “senior citizens”.

Recall that PO2 Aries Tamondong of Regional Public Safety Batallion (RPSB) was killed in action during a clash with the communist rebels in San Nicolas last July 28.

September 18, 2017 at 6:15 am Leave a comment

MAGANES: Declaring drug-free municipalities and cities, a boon or bane?


 vir maganesPangasinan Provincial Police Office (PPPO) has targeted that by December 31 this year, all municipalities and cities in the province would have been declared drug free. At present, there are one city and five municipalities that have been declared as drug free- Agno, Dasol, Laoac, San Nicolas, Sto. Tomas, and Alaminos City, out of 44 municipalities and four cities in the province. This means that the leadership of Philippine National Police (PNP) in Pangasinan will work doubly hard to attain its goal.

Under the Operation Double Barrel Reloaded- OPlan Tokhang and OPlan High Value Targets (HVT) on war against illegal drugs, there are more or less 20,000 drug users and pushers in Pangasinan who already surrendered to police authorities. These surrenderers were turned over to municipal/city governments for them to conduct Community Rehabilitation Program/Moral Recovery Program through their designated chaplains. The PNP monitors the development of the surrenderers through home visitations and follow ups whether they are attending the required sessions of the said program.

In declaring a municipality or city as drug free, the Municipal/City Drug and Abuse Councils will pass a resolution to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) that will in turn affirm that the municipality or city could already be declared drug free. This will be a tedious process for this needs proper evaluation, validation, which will lead to an issuance of certification by the PDEA. However, what is the guarantee that the drug surrenderers in villages (barangays) have not returned to their old habits of using drugs? What is the guarantee also that the declared municipalities and cities as drug free are already devoid of drug users, pushers and HVTs? (more…)

September 18, 2017 at 6:13 am Leave a comment

WATER LILY WEAVING


21728040_1580265745327544_5098995456074144235_n

September 18, 2017 at 6:10 am Leave a comment

Villasis  hosts free mobile computer literacy program


By Virgilio Sar. Maganes

 ROSALES- Residents of Villasis town will benefit from free computer literacy training program, which will kick off on October 2 inside a mobile van to be stationed in front the municipal town hall.

 This was bared by Abono Partylist Chair Rosendo O. So who said the project will be jointly sponsored by the Abono Partylist, Fil-Chi Love and Care Foundation (FCLCF), Fil-Chi Business Club (FCBC), and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA).

” The computer training program through the FCLCF seeks to help bridge the digital and values divide through  information and communications technology (ICT) education. The trainees will be provided with sessions on computer trainings on basic personal computer, windows operation system, Microsoft office , values formation and personality enhancement,” So said.

 A memorandum of agreement (MOA) will be forged by the sponsors with the municipal government of Villasis through Mayor Nonato S. Abrenica. (more…)

September 18, 2017 at 6:09 am Leave a comment

ORTIGOZA: My Father Goes to War


mortz-nw-colored3

Everytime an event for the Philippine Expeditionary Forces to Korea (PEFTOK) was to be held my father retired Air Force Lieutenant Marcelo Cruz Ortigoza, Sr, 89,  waxed sentimental and persuaded me to attend.

But I could not acquiesce as I was preoccupied with my work and Manila was an emasculating trip from Dagupan City.

PEFTOK played a major part of his life.

When he was 26 years old, the Philippine government, as part of a treaty with the United Nations, sent him as member of the 1,500 Filipino soldiers of the 2nd Battalion Combat Team (BCT) (as package of the 7,500 strong five BCTs the Manila government sent to the beleaguered South Korean nation) to fight, maim, kill, and flush-out the chink eyed North Korean and Chinese communists that invaded the democratic South that started in June 25, 1950.

Two weeks ago my frail but still ramrod father told me it would cost him and my niece Abigael P15,000 for a round trip jet ride in Philippine Air Line from Davao City to Pasay City just to attend the warriors affairs’ 18th Korean War Veterans of the Philippine Memorial Day and 43rd PVAI Annual Convention that will ensue on September 7 to 10, 2017 at Fort Bonifacio, Makati City which would be graced by South Korean Ambassador Kim, Jae Shin, Retired Colonel Paterno V. Viloria, President PEFTOK Veterans Association, Honorable Lee, Jong Sub, President, Philippines Department of the Korean Veterans Association, Lt. General Glorioso V. Miranda, Commanding General, Philippine Army, former President Fidel V. Ramos, the star of the 20th BCT  (what with his exploit as a young lieutenant capturing Hill Eerie), to name a few.

“I’ll be sending P10,000 for you in Dagupan City. Bring your two grown up sons so they can see the Korean veterans and enjoy the military honors and party there at Fort Bonifacio. My body is already weak and could hardly cope with the rough and tumble trips,” he told me in a telephone call from M’lang, Cotabato (town of Agriculture Secretary Manny Pinol and Health Secreaty Paulyn Jean Ubial).

The rustic town of M’lang is three hours van ride to Davao City while it is more than an hour plane ride from the City to PAL’s Terminal 2 in Pasay.

But my younger brother Gabriel, a former military professor at the Philippine Military Academy now based in California, insisted to my father to attend because he did not see the PEFTOK event for “ages’ already and this would be his last attendance where he could rub elbows and evoke nostalgia with his comrades- in- arms when they were young, strong, and gung ho 63 years ago.

This afternoon, I’ll be meeting my father and niece, who sacrificed her three days of college classes, at the airport terminal for their four-day hotel stay somewhere in Taguig City as they prepare for the PEFTOK’s fete and rituals.

Yesterday, as part of this article, I asked my father how his oversea’s assignement started.

He told me through Face Book’s video chat that in April 12, 1954 he and the more than one thousand soldiers embarked in the American navy ship’s USS Montreal at Pier 7 in Manila.

“The port was near Manila Hotel and for three days we cruise the ocean and reached Port Sashebo in Japan,” he narrated in the Ilonggo vernacular at the same time using NATO Phonetic Alphabets like Sierra for “S” Alpha for “A” and so on to complete Sashebo and other places in Japan and Korea as the internet connection made the verbal communication mumbled and sometimes inaudible.

How I miss the Morse Code and the Homing Pigeon vis-à-vis with the poor service of internet providers in the country

In Japan, the 1,500 brown skinned “diminutive” troops, where many are battle scarred veterans of World War II, were joined by American forces on another ship ride to Pusan, South Korea. (more…)

September 18, 2017 at 6:05 am Leave a comment

Older Posts


Welcome to Northern Watch Online.You are visitor no.

  • 645,399 since Feb. 10, 2009

Events Watch

sugod agri-expo Photobucket

Last Week’s Cartoon

Photobucket

Day Watch

September 2017
S M T W T F S
« Aug    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
Regional blogs & blog posts
Regional blogs
Media blogs
Opinion blogs
Community blogs

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 1,346 other followers